We are still getting eggplant from our summer garden in November. I suspect this will be our last harvest for the season. I grilled the eggplant on my indoor grill, seasoned with salt and pepper and brushed with olive oil. The grilled eggplant was delicious by itself, but I wanted to do more with it. I created an eggplant and pasta dish that can be served with or without shrimp.
The sauce is olive oil with garlic and lemon. I added even more lemon slices before baking for extra lemon flavor.
I had extra wide egg noodles on hand, so that was my pasta. Whatever you have will work just fine. I hoard almost-empty boxes of pasta like I hoard bits of cheese. It’s a problem.
I placed the grilled eggplant around the edges of a casserole dish with the pasta and shrimp in the middle.
After a few minutes in the oven, lunch was served!
Grilled Eggplant with Pasta and Shrimp from simplypescetarian.com
Here’s the recipe!
- 4 small eggplant , sliced ½" thick
- ¾ pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper
- Olive Oil
- 4 servings cooked pasta
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Juice of one lemon
- Lemon slices
- Grated parmesan
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat a grill to medium-high. You can use a charcoal girl or gas grill. Spray the grill plates with non-stick cooking spray to prevent sticking. Place the eggplant slices on the grill. brush with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook 3-4 minus on each side then remove and set aside. Place the shrimp on the grill and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until firm and the flesh turns pink. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the package until al dente. Drain.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, crushed red pepper, and lemon juice. Cook two minutes until the garlic softens. Add the hot pasta to the pan with the sauce and toss to combine. Arrange the eggplant around the edges of a casserole dish. Pour half the pasta with sauce into the dish. Add half the shrimp on top of the pasta. Add the remaining pasta and sauce followed by the remaining shrimp. Garnish with a little grated parmesan cheese and tuck a few lemon slices around the edge. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 9-12 minutes or until the cheese melts. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve while hot..