While looking for a dessert to serve on St. Patrick’s Day, I ran across Dublin’s Finest Caramel Apple Cake on Epicurean. It sounded delicious and I had everything on hand but the apple cinnamon quick bread mix. I tend to stay away from boxed mixes so I decided to make the cake, substituting regular dry ingredients for the boxed mix. The recipe below is my reincarnation of Dublin’s Finest Caramel Apple Cake.
After stuffing ourselves with all the traditional St. Patrick’s Day fare, we waited until the evening to enjoy a slice of cake with whipped cream. This cake is not very sweet but I like that. Michael would have appreciated a bit more sugar. I must admit that this cake was much tastier this morning. The apple flavor was more pronounced, the cake was moister, and the lack of sugar was not as evident at breakfast! It was delicious with a hot cup of coffee.
- For the caramel:
- ½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- 8 ounce carton heavy whipped cream, divided
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- For the cake:
- ⅓ c brown sugar, not packed
- ⅔ c white sugar
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 TBS whiskey
- 1½ c all-purpose flour
- 1¾ tsp baking powder
- ½ c milk
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- For the topping:
- Remaining heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons Irish Whiskey (optional)
- For the garnish:
- Carmel sauce
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- In small sauce pan over low heat, combine brown sugar, butter and 2 tablespoons whipping cream. Cook and stir just until butter is melted. Remove from heat. Stir in pecans. Pour mixture into bottom of buttered 9-inch round cake pan. Set aside.
- In large bowl, combine sugars, oil and eggs and whiskey. Beat by hand until combined. Add the milk and mix well. Add the dry ingredients and the diced apples. Stir 50-60 strokes by hand until moistened.
- Carefully spoon batter over caramel mixture, making sure caramel is completely covered. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 1 minute, then invert onto serving plate. Cool completely.
- Just before serving, in small bowl, beat remaining whipping cream until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and whiskey. Beat until stiff peaks form. Serve cake with a dollop of whipped cream.
Whether you enjoy it with a cup of coffee for breakfast or a shot of Irish whiskey at bedtime, enjoy this cake!