I needed something to go with chili dogs on a hot summer day. This recipe from the Best of Sunset Magazine seemed perfect. It was! It was cold, crunchy and very uniquely tasty. I loved the basil and the champagne vinagrette did not overpower the salad. My only regret is serving the leftovers to the chickens because I would love to have some right now. But, avocados darken and chickens love corn so I had to do what I had to do.
Here is the recipe from Sunset:
- YIELD: Serves 6
- COURSE: Salads, Side Dishes/Vegetables
- 6 ears corn
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 large avocado, cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large pot of boiling water, cook corn until warmed through, 3 to 5 minutes. Rinse with cold water until cool.
2. Meanwhile, combine tomatoes, onion, avocado, and basil in a large bowl. In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients to make the vinaigrette, whisking until blended.
3. Cut corn kernels off cobs and add to salad, then pour in vinaigrette and toss gently to combine.