Today is National Strawberry Day. Since we haven’t scheduled any showings of the house for today, I thought I might as well mess up the kitchen, again. These taste great, but the picture is not as good as I would have liked. Someone (Michael) interrupted me to find stuff for him and spread pine shavings in a chicken coop. Anyway, I’m over it. Back to the scones.
I know I just made strawberry jam, but I am not in a strawberry frenzy despite appearances. I just found out this morning that today is National Strawberry Day. I had to do something. That something turned out to be strawberry scones. I found a recipe for Strawberry Shortcake Scones at Very Culinary and gave it a tweak. I am sure it was perfectly fine as written, but that’s just how I roll.
- For the scones:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons chilled salted butter
- 12 medium-sized strawberries, hulled and diced
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- For the glaze:
- 3 cups sifted confectioners sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Use a box grater to grate the cold butter. Add butter to the flour mixture and toss until mixture resembles crumbs.
- Dice the strawberries and gently add to the flour mixture. Add cream and fold together gently until the mixture just comes together in a soft dough. Do not overwork the dough.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Use your fingers to pat into a 1-inch thick rectangle. With a sharp knife, cut the rectangle into 6 squares, then cut the squares diagonally to form 12 triangles. Place scones on parchment-lined baking sheet and bake 16-18 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool for about 10-12 minutes.
- Make the glaze by whisking together the sifted confectioner's sugar, vanilla, and cream until smooth.
- Generously drizzle scones with the glaze and garnish with fresh strawberries.