When my friend Kelly heard I had a bag of Meyer lemons, she offered her recipe for lemon pound cake. I couldn’t say no. That would just be rude. So, I made a pound cake with my lemons and it was delicious. I actually made another one the following day after someone hacked into the first one with a steak knife in the middle of the night, rendering it unsuitable for photographs. Did I mention Michael liked this cake?
I liked the moistness that came from the sour cream and the extra egg yolk I added. I only did that because my hens are laying medium-sized eggs now and I didn’t have two large eggs. I think I will try this recipe again with orange. I love anything with orange in it too.
This recipe makes a large pound cake so get out the big loaf pan.
Oops, I forgot to pour the glaze on. Back down to the studio in the basement.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 8 oz container sour cream
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp milk
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9X5 inch loaf pan. (the loaf pan I use is a really large one)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Beat in the lemon juice and zest. On low speed, add the flour mixture alternating with sour cream, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake the cake for 50-55 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan and let cool completely on wire rack.
- Make lemon glaze. In a small bowl, combine the ingredients to make a smooth glaze. Drizzle over pound cake.
Latest posts by Mary (see all)
- Random Nonsense - September 19, 2014
- Cheddar Chive Biscuits for SRC - September 14, 2014
- Poached Egg, Fried Green Tomato, and Cheddar Grits - September 13, 2014