Eighteen months ago I posted a recipe for Lemon Ricotta Pancakes. This morning I decided to revisit that recipe and make sure it still works, or if it needs tweaking. I am happy to report the pancakes were as good today as they were when I originally posted. This time I used store-bought ricotta but everything else was the same including using lemon and milk to make buttermilk. What makes these pancakes over-the-top is how light and airy they cook up. That is because the egg whites are beaten and then gently folded into the batter just before they hit the griddle. The ricotta is lightly mixed in as well so, as you eat them, you find little pockets of ricotta cheese. Paired with the lemon, it is so good. Think these just appeal to girls? Think again. Michael ate them twice today and says they are “awesome.”
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- ⅓ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- Vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. In a medium bowl, whisk buttermilk, egg yolks, and lemon peel to blend. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until evenly moistened. Gently stir in ricotta cheese.
- In a bowl, with a mixer on high speed, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. With a flexible spatula, gently fold the whites into the batter just until they are incorporated.
- Place a nonstick griddle or a 12-inch nonstick frying pan over medium heat (350°); when hot, coat lightly with oil and adjust heat to maintain temperature. Drop batter in ½-cup portions onto the griddle and cook until pancakes are browned on the bottom and edges begin to look dry, about 2 minutes; turn cakes with a wide spatula and brown other sides, 1½ to 2 minutes longer. Coat pan with more oil as necessary to cook remaining pancakes.
- Serve pancakes as cooked, or keep warm in a single layer on baking sheets in a 200° oven for up to 15 minutes.
Latest posts by Mary (see all)
- Random Nonsense - September 19, 2014
- Cheddar Chive Biscuits for SRC - September 14, 2014
- Poached Egg, Fried Green Tomato, and Cheddar Grits - September 13, 2014