DIY – Decorative Screen

My autumn front door decor needed some punch. I decided to use an orange and teal color scheme to mix it up a bit. I started by covering the black and tan striped chair cushions with a paisley fabric in orange and teal.





I added these cute pillows I found at TJ Maxx.


I wanted to add more fabric to the porch and create a more defined seating area. I decided to make a folding screen with printed burlap fabric I bought deeply discounted on the remnant table at the fabric store.

The screen took the better part of an afternoon and cost $45.00, broken down as follows:

Fabric               $5.00

Lumber             22.00

Spray paint         6.00

Hardware          12.00

TOTAL             $45.00

You’ll need a stapler, staples, wood glue, and a drill. Here’s how I made it:

I bought 8 pieces of primered trim board at Home Depot. The boards were 8 feet long. I cut the boards to a height of 5 feet, reserving the extra 3 feet for the tops and bottoms.


I moved into the basement to assemble the frames where I had a large workbench at my disposal. I used corner hardware braces to attach the tops to the sides as well as Gorilla wood glue.






I took them outside and painted the fronts a chocolate-brown. I didn’t paint the backs as the fabric would mostly cover it. In hindsight, I probably should have painted them.


I them used a staple gun to attach scraps of chicken wire (already in hand) to the top and bottom parts. You can see the corner braces in this picture too.


I then stapled the fabric to the back of the large sections with staples.


Michael helped me attach the hinges to put the three pieces together and it was ready to go on the porch. I plan to use it for my Christmas display as well by just adding gold accessories. Between uses, I can fold it flat flat and stash it in the rafters.




After I got this sign home from TJMaxx, Michael pointed out that it was missing the “i” in Rides. I didn’t even notice!


NaBloPoMo November 2013

You also might enjoy...

  • Starbucks-Frappuccino_large

    As a first time hobby rancher/farmer I have a lot of cautionary tales to tell. I learned this one the hard way. Frappaccinos belong in the cup holder in your car, not on a rock in the barnyard.       

  • 4-29

    Years ago I named my blog Everyday Miracles and Mayhem because there always seemed to be something going on that fit into one of those two categories. Hobby ranching just increases the odds of these things happening. While my miracles do not rise to the level of biblical proportions, they are still miracles to me. Mayhem is subjective. Since it's my blog, I get to be the judge. Geese eating my newly planted California poppies qualifies today. The sight of Stella, my gypsy hen roaming free, far from the safety of the chicken yard is, in my mind, mayhem.  Thistle everywhere is mayhem. Fields of clover are a miracle. The fact that Diana can still run despite her recent weight gain is a miracle. A turkey burger that actually tastes good is a miracle. A pure white Icelandic chick is a miracle. Six foot tall emus grooming a mammoth donkey over a fence is a miracle. Without the fence? Mayhem. Having my Cricket scooter to ride down to the far pasture to visit with the donkeys is a miracle. Finding bearded purple iris growing in the far pasture is a miracle. I'll leave you with mayhem in this first installment…

  • blog2-9-18

    We made a lot of progress on the screen room yesterday. Installing the screen was tricky and a bad job the first time resulted in our tearing it out and doing it again with larger pieces of screen. That made it easier to stretch. When we did it the first time it had more sags and bags than my face! Not it is nice and tight and is almost unnoticeable. We are going to be applying an epoxy garage floor product to the cement so we left the siding off on the inside until that is done. The sliding glass door still needs to be shimmed and installed permanently. The opening is not square so it poses a bit of a challenge. In the corner by the air compressor I will have base cabinets and a countertop for my incubators, brooder, and a small fridge for egg customers. This is the view from the outside. View of the exterior of our house with the new screen room. I'll be back with pictures of the final product soon I hope!  


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *