…make a green tomato tart!
I have held on to my green tomatoes for so long that they have started to ripen.
Tired of fried green tomatoes and fearing green tomato chutney, I decided to make a green tomato tart. I chopped the smallest firm green tomatoes into wedges, tossed them in a bowl with salt, pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
When baked, it was tart and delicious. If you don’t like fried green tomatoes you probably won’t like this either. These could also be made with the puff pastry shell with one small wedge of green tomato and served as an appetizer.
- 3 medium-sized, firm, green tomatoes, cored and cubed
- 3 TBS balsamic vinegar
- 2 TBS olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 TBS granulated sugar
- 1 rectangle frozen puff pastry dough, thawed but still chilled
- 1 egg white
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- Toss the cubed tomatoes with balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread the tomatoes in a single layer on a baking sheet. Pour the liquid from the bowl over the top. Sprinkle the tomatoes with the granulated sugar. You can omit this but it does help with caramelization and reduces the tartness. Roast in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Cut ¾ inch of puff pastry from the edges. Brush the edge with egg white and place the cut strips on edges form a well. Brush the inside of the well with olive oil. Spread the grated cheese in an even layer inside the well. Save a bit of cheese for the top. Place the roasted tomatoes on the cheese and pour any of the liquid left in the pan over the top. Sprinkled the reserved cheese on the tomatoes. Place the tart on a roasting pan in a 375 degree oven until the pastry puffs up and becomes golden brown, about 25 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
Latest posts by Mary (see all)
- Cheddar Chive Biscuits for SRC - September 14, 2014
- Poached Egg, Fried Green Tomato, and Cheddar Grits - September 13, 2014
- Spicy Korean BBQ Shrimp Tacos - September 12, 2014