My Safeway store just added pretzel buns to their bakery line-up. I had to try them! I wasn’t disappointed, but I will try making my own at home next time. I thought they would go well with chicken. The only decision left was, what kind of chicken? I thought about ranch but that seemed too much like “fast food” if you know what I mean. I decided to go outside the box and make chimichurri grilled chicken breasts with lettuce, tomato, and avocado. My garden is just about done for the season but I still have lots of fresh herbs for the chimichurri sauce.
- 2 chicken breasts, pounded thin
- 2 pretzel buns, split
- 2 tomato slices
- 2 Romaine lettuce leaves
- Avocado slices
- For the chimichurri sauce:
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 2 Tbs. fresh oregano leaves
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 TBS Champagne vinegar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Pulse the parsley, garlic and organ in a food processor until finely chopped. You can also do this by hand. Pour into a medium bowl and add the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. You can add extra red pepper flakes if you like it spicier.
- Marinate the pounded chicken breasts in half the chimichurri sauce for at least an hour. Grill until cooked completely through. Add extra sauce if you like before serving. Warm the pretzel buns on the girl or in the microwave for 25 seconds. Slather on some mayonnaise if you like, top with the veggies and enjoy.
Feel free to pour on extra sauce before eating!
Latest posts by Mary (see all)
- Cheddar Chive Biscuits for SRC - September 14, 2014
- Poached Egg, Fried Green Tomato, and Cheddar Grits - September 13, 2014
- Spicy Korean BBQ Shrimp Tacos - September 12, 2014