I picked up a bag of plastic Halloween hands a few weeks ago at Michael’s Craft store. I immediately thought, CUPCAKES!
I finally found time today to make them.
Here’s how I did it!
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1 can chocolate frosting
- 2 bags of chocolate Oreo cookies
- Black Cupcake Liners
- Cupcake Decorations:
- Plastic Hands, Skulls, and Spiders
- Peeps Ghosts
- Toasted Coconut
- Gummy Worms
- Prepare the cake batter according to the instructions on the box. Of course you can make cake batter and frosting from scratch but I took the easy route. Pour the batter into the cupcake liners, filling them no more than ⅔. Bake according to directions, remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
- While the cupcakes are baking make your chocolate "dirt." Open both bags of ores and separate the cookies. Do not twist to separate them, pull one cookie away from the other. This leaves one cookie nearly free of filling. A bit of filling left on the cookie is fine. Set aside the plain cookies and put the other pieces back together and you have a whole bag of chocolate "double stuff" cookies too enjoy later!
- Place the cookie pieces without the filling in a food processor bowl and pulse until they resemble dirt. You can all put them in a plastic zipper bag and crush with a rolling pin.
- Toast the coconut by placing it on a microwave safe plate. Cook for three minutes watching closely for burning. Remove the plate from the oven and mix the coconut with a fork. Microwave in 30 second intervals until the coconut is lightly brown and crispy. Allow to cool.
- When the cupcakes are completely cooled spread them with chocolate frosting all the way to the edges. Place the Oreo "dirt" in a shallow bowl and roll the frosting in the crumbs until coated. You can also not completely cover it and then roll the rest in coconut. Place the plastic hand into the top of the cupcake. You can add gummy worms, sprinkles, or plastic spiders. Take the long pieces of coconut and stick them in the dirt to resemble dead grass. Just have fun. You can't make a mistake!
Here is my set for my photos. I had fun playing!