I went to the store for groceries to make Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches for dinner. I got all that, plus a bunch more. I veered quite a bit off course with this sandwich, but it was so good. It featured chicken, slow cooked in marinara sauce, garlic, red wine, provolone cheese and pepperoni all on ciabatta bread. Yummy.
- Ciabatta rolls
- 2 chicken breasts, slice thin
- 2 TBS olive oil
- Marinara sauce (I used a store-bought jarred sauce)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- ¾ cup red wine (I used Cabernet)
- 4 ounces large pepperoni slices (I used Boar's head brand)
- 6 slices Provolone cheese
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Slice two chickens breasts into three thin slices each. Heat a little olive oil in a ;large skillet. Brown both sides of the chicken in the hot pan. Pour the marinara sauce into a slow cooker. Add the seared chicken, garlic, red wine, and half the pepperoni slices. Cook for at least a couple of hours on high or until the chicken is tender.
- Slice the rolls in half. On the bottom roll place two slices provolone cheese. Dip the top half into the marinara sauce to coat the cut surface. Place both halves on a sheet pan and place under the broiler until the cheese melts. Remove from the broiler. Place chicken breasts on the bottom half of the ciabatta roll. Add pepperoni slices from the slow cooker. Add three uncooked pepperoni slices to the sandwich then add another slice of cheese and sprinkle with grated Parmesan. Place the sandwich, open-faced under the broiler again until the cheese melts, and is bubbly and golden. Serve with extra marinara sauce and sliced pepperoncinis. Have plenty of napkins on hand . This one's messy!