Last week I saw ripe plantains in the market. They were yellow instead of green. I envisioned making a dinner of jerk chicken and fried plantains for my son and his family. Time got away from me, we ate out, and they went back to Palm Springs, leaving me with ripe plantains. By now the plantain skins were beyond yellow, heading for black. I did some research online and realized that they are just getting into the prime of life! Then I realized I didn’t need Google to figure this out. The plantains had labels that read:
If I’m green fry me.
If I’m yellow grill me.
If I’m black bake me.
I opened one up to see if it seemed like something I would want to grill. Not really. So I am going with the idea that they are black and I am going to bake them, specifically in breakfast muffins.
I have a recipe I devised years ago when I was trying to maintain my weight. I enjoyed a not-too-seer breakfast muffins with pineapple, bran, coconut, raisin, and pecans. It was pretty low in sugar and had a good amount of fiber. I decided to use that muffin recipe and adapt it for use with the plantains. I went off on a tropical whim. I used a mashed plantain, a small mashed banana, coconut, pecans, pineapple, coconut oil, eggs, Greek yogurt, cinnamon, and rum extract for a tropical flavor.
I only used 3/4 cup of white sugar and 1/4 cup brown sugar because I didn’t want these to come off as cupcakes. Michael tired one and declared that “They taste diet.” Mission accomplished. I remember so vividly keeping my breakfast muffins in the freezer, individually bagged. Each morning I would thaw one in the microwave and enjoy it with a cup of coffee on the patio. I am hoping to do the same with these, if the tropical heat wave subsides in the near future. If not I will enjoy it indoors under the A/C vent.
Before baking I topped each muffin with a slice of plantain, some coconut, pecan chips, and some white sanding sugar with a little cinnamon mixed in.
I used cupcake liners which turned out to not be the wisest choice. They stick to the bottoms a bit. I should have just put the batter directly into a tin sprayed with baking spray.