I created the most delicious breakfast this morning with ingredients from my fridge. Craving a poached egg on toast since yesterday, that was where I started. I used a biscuit cutter to remove rounds from a not-so fresh loaf of bread. I toasted them in a pan, layered the bread with slices of fresh tomato, topped it with a poached egg, garnished with fresh mozzarella, basil, and pesto. It was a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach. The contrast of the warm bread and the icy cold tomatoes was so good. The poached egg with the garlicky pesto was sublime. I was sort of like crossing a panzanella salad with a caprese salad and adding a poached egg. I don’t very often quote Paula Deen but, “It was out of this world y’all!”
I took so many pictures of this masterpiece that I was able to animate them in a video. If oozing yolk isn’t your cup of tea, best to skip the video.
- 3 slices bread
- 1 TBS butter
- 3 slices fresh tomato
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 3 Bocconcini (small fresh mozzarella balls)
- Pesto, homemade or jarred
- Fresh Basil sprigs
- 2 TBS white vinegar
- 1 egg
- Use a biscuit cutter to remove the middle part of the bread. Add the butter to a skillet or grill pan on medium heat. Place the bread rounds into the melted butter and coat both sides. Add more butter if needed. Toast the bread on both sides until lightly golden brown and remove pan from heat. leave the bread in the pan to keep it warm.
- In a small skillet bring two inches of water with vinegar added to a small rolling boil. Break the egg and gently slide it into the water. The vinegar should keep the egg white from shredding. Allow the egg to cook until the white is set and the yolk is still runny. Spoon the boiling water over the top to set the yolk. Carefully remove the egg with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Assemble the dish with bread, alternating with tomato slices. Salt and pepper the tomato as you like. Place the bocconcini and basil along side the toast/tomato stack
- and garnish with pesto. Place the poached egg carefully on top and salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!