Looking for a potato side dish to accompany meat loaf, I remembered this cheesy casserole. I put a little spin on it by using white cheddar and making a beschemel sauce. According to Michael. “It was da bomb” which was a good thing because he said the meatloaf was a bomb. This didn’t come out of the baking dish like this. I played around with the leftovers and stacked them up. It would make a pretty presentation for a dinner party though.
- 3 cups sliced raw potatoes
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Fresh ground nutmeg (just a pinch)
- ½ cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Place potatoes in a shallow baking dish. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 6 tablespoons butter. To the butter in the saucepan, add the flour, whisking constantly. Gradually stir in milk. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce is thick and smooth. Add cheese and continue stirring until cheese is melted. Pour sauce over potatoes in baking dish; mix gently. Top with grated cheddar. Bake potatoes au gratin at 400° for about 35 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.