- 1/2 teaspoon each black, green, red, and white peppercorns
- 2 pounds shrimp, shells on
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1. Put peppercorns in a mortar and crush roughly with a pestle. Or put peppercorns in a large resealable plastic bag, spread out on a hard, flat surface, and crush with the bottom of a heavy frying pan or rolling pin.
- 2. Put shrimp, half of the crushed peppercorns, and 1 tsp. salt in a large bowl and toss to coat shrimp evenly. Set aside.
- 3. Heat a wok or large (not nonstick) pot over high heat. Add oil, garlic, remaining crushed peppercorns, and remaining 1 tsp. salt and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add shrimp and cook, stirring constantly, until pink and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Add cilantro, turn off heat, and toss to combine. Serve immediately.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Note: The different peppercorns add a subtle range of pepper flavor to this dish, but you can stick to just black peppercorns too; simply decrease the total amount to 1 1/2 tsp.