This is the recipe from the cover of the magazine. I have been wanting to make it since I started this project and today was the day. You know what? I was left wanting more flavor. It definitely needed salt which I added and perhaps more red pepper flakes would have added some punch. I enjoyed it but if I make it again I will tweak it some.
Recipe from Sunset:
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon red chile flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- About 12 oz. peeled and deveined shrimp (30 to 35 per lb.)
- 2 cups cubed fresh or frozen mango (preferably unripe)
- 1/4 cup toasted shredded unsweetened coconut
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat and sauté onion in oil until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, chile flakes, basil, soy sauce, lime juice, and shrimp; cook, stirring often, until shrimp turn pink, 3 to 5 minutes. Add mango and cook until warm. Sprinkle with toasted coconut and serve with steamed jasmine rice.